Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Kabab & Curry's in Santa Clara, California

Lamb Briyani

The trusted advisor who once referred me to the wonders of Bismillah has been harassing me non-stop for not going to Kebabs & Currys whenever I'm in the South Bay (1498 Isabella Street, 408-247-0745), saying that their briyani was even better than Bismillah's. It's not like I hadn't tried. The problem was that they only serve lamb briyani on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays, and I could never get the timing right. Well, it worked out tonight, so I set the destination in Google Maps and away I went.

Yeah, it was pretty good, particularly those super long grains of rice. The lamb was tender, and a nice aroma of cinnamon and anise pervaded the bowl. Perhaps the best part was all of the cinnamon bark in there, meaning that many grains of rice got stuck inside, along with all of the spices and flavors, making it particularly tasty after you scooped it out of there. I'm not sure if I'd go so far as to say it beats Bismillah, but it was pretty darned good.

Addendum: I just realized that this place is a Michelin Bib Gourmand.

1 comment:

Mojo_HK said...

The tandoori fish next time with the biryani...