Saturday, April 05, 2014

Kin Kin Chilli Pan Mee in Singapore

Kin Kin Chili Pan Mee

On my last trip to Kuala Lumpur, my local colleagues told me about some place called Kin Kin, which served some good noodles but also some killer chili sauce. I thus made a note to myself that I had to get them to take me next time I was up there, but I haven't actually gone into KL itself since then. Fortunately, they have since opened up a shop down here in Singapore (534 MacPherson Road).

We were a bit worried at first about these huge lines that we had heard about, especially on a Saturday at lunch time. To my surprise, there was absolutely no line at all when we arrived, allowing us to grab a table immediately. Maybe it was because of the rain, but I surely wasn't complaining. It turned out that the kitchen did take quite some time to prepare each bowl though; we waited at least 10-15 minutes after placing our order.

So how was the food? It didn't look that impressive when it arrived. But after I gave it a stir and took a bite, I immediately exclaimed, "Whoa...that's better than I was expecting." I took another bite and said, "Yeah, this is pretty darned good." The key was not only the fried shallots and egg yolk, but also the ikan bilis, which were thinner and crispier than what one normally gets. The chili turned out to be like Cantonese chili oil, but with less oil and more salt. We liked it enough that we immediately went back to get a second bowl.

No comments: