Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Singapore-Style Ramen at A Noodle Story

Singapore-Style Ramen

When I first read about this place, I didn't think it would be very good, in large part because the name (of both the stall and the dish) sounded rather tacky. Nonetheless, the word "ramen" still kept me half-curious enough to come down to Amoy Street Food Centre today (7 Maxwell Road #01-39), and I'm glad that I did.

It was a heck of a lot better than I thought it would be, in part because of those firm skinny noodles coated in oil, but also because of the quality of that freshly fried and crisp shrimp thingy. Everything went down in the blink of an eye, wontons and all. The only item that I didn't care for was the little dab of chili sauce, but that was easy enough to avoid.

Now, the main things that made it even remotely resemble ramen was the pork and egg. Otherwise, this was really more of a local noodle than anything. Either way, I can see where the fine dining pedigree of these guys came in, as it showed in the care that they took in the details. I'll come back, and if it's any sign of how much I liked it, next time I'll opt for the largest size.

2 comments:

Patricia T. said...

I used to frequent Amoy Street Food Centre a lot but I might just go back there someday to try this noodles that you recommend!

Brandon said...

Thanks for writing this up. I went by today and had the largest size ($7) and really, really enjoyed it. Great value for the quality and what you get in there. It was a better noodle experience than a listless but seemingly well regarded $20 bowl of Japanese ramen I had last week.