Thursday, October 11, 2012

Tonkotsu Kazan Ramen at Novena Square 2

Kazan Shoyu

Man, ramen shops just keep on opening here in Singapore, eh? This one was particularly interesting in that they used some kind of a cone to funnel steam through like a volcano, complete with an hourglass timer while it cooked at your table. It sounded a bit like Bene Spaghetti, but with ramen, so I was very curious to see what the heck this was (10 Sinaran Drive #02-68, 6397-6636).

The Red Cone

As it turned out, it was just a red metal cone, but the hot stone bowl helped brown the noodles a little, and the good thing was that the broth was not too salty. I'd be willing to come back to try one of the other bowls on the menu (without all of the volcano theatrics), but I just wish they had an outlet elsewhere. There's something about this cramped Square 2 place that really bothers me.

3 comments:

em said...

Hello! With so many ramen shop popping all over Sg, what's your fave at the moment? I do v much like the black garlic tonkotsu ramen at orchid hotel but it tad oily!

bma said...

My favorite is still exactly that bowl: Keisuke's black tonkotsu, which incidentally is not garlic nor squid ink-based like other black ones, but rather based on sansho, or Sichuan peppercorns (which is precisely why I like it so much). Musashi's tsukemen is probably my second favorite, while Marutama's aka ramen is my third.

em said...

same here! thought i do miss the Butao King in HK!